Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fishing anyone?

Whoever came up with this idea is a genius!! (Must have been a woman, right? LOL)
I have tried a lot of "storage solutions" over the years, but nothing has ever tamed my circulars like this!
Sometime last year, or maybe the year before, I was discussing our out of control needle collections with my partner, (my partner at work that year was a knitter/crocheter too).
Like me, she has a lot of tools from her mother that, also like me, she is loath to dispose of, that went along with the increasingly growing collections of circular needles we both continue to purchase.
For my straights, that I rarely use, I found this too cute case at Walmart ( yes I know baaaaad) for just a couple of bucks, and it has the old fashioned style of a travel trunk, except that it is tall and rectangular. Of course it is not tall enough to be able to close the lid on the needles but it is functional and looks cute on my craft dresser. It holds about half of them, the other half are in a tall glass canister.
But I had nothing practical for my circs! And don't you hate sifting through a drawer trying to untangle the mess the circular needles get into (seemingly all by themselves)?

Anyway, we were browsing the Internet looking for a new needle case solution, since we both had the same problem. Lot of some very pricey cases out there! Someone, somewhere out there mentioned she got an idea from her husband tackle box- a great zippered case with Ziploc bags-cheaper that any "needle" case she had seen.
Well would you just know it...Bass Pro Shops have a great idea for keeping bait and tackle organized! Ok, maybe I am not so surprised. It would not be the first time I shopped in the fishing isle for a craft storage solution.
Off to Bass Pro I go and low and behold (gosh those guys are organized) I find something even better, cheaper! A case with a Velcro strap... I can fit a lot of needles in one of those I think to myself.
And oh boy can I- with no strain on the bag itself!
I bought two of course- one for my circulars and one for my double points. After 30 something years of knitting and crocheting, I have a lot of needles and hooks!

I kind of even like the little fish logo on it :)




Double point needle case.




Circular needle case.
Which I have labeled in numerical order, in some cases I have two pages for some sizes. I have a needle gauge in each case along with, stitch markers and needle tips. And, they both have room to grow! But now that they are neatly orgainzed and stored, I find I have more than enough needles for just about any project. Plus, I have my Pink Denise's, so I don't think I will be needing to buy any more needles, unless it is an Addi, I find I am really liking those!
Mom had always used a flat Tupperware cheese container for her crochet hooks and that has worked well for me, so I keep that (plus it was mom's and I am kind of attached to some of my deadables).
Love those guys at Bass Pro Shop, you should have seen the look on the guy's face when I answered his question of " So what are you going to do with those?"...It was comical to say the least. I guess I don't look like the fisherman type.







3 comments:

Dawn said...

What a great idea!!!
I just keep all of mine in a bag in the closet, but I did finally order the knit-picks options set that has a holder. Now at least "some" of my needles will be organized! LOL!

Charlie Chuckles said...

Sounds a bit fishy to me!!!!!!

I daren't even think about trying to organise my bits and pieces, it would give me a headache!

NatRed2 said...

LOL... Baby steps girls, baby steps! I sure as heck didn't manage this overnite. In fact I am pretty sure I had to do some hunting throughout the house for some of these needles. I have been "collecting" them for a lot of years. :) A little Tylenol can go a long way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...