Friday, December 26, 2008

An Experiment In Thrumming Mitts

CA Dawn told me I need to explain what I am doing. Said it looked like I was knitting with my hair...LOL I guess she is right. 
It did look like I was knitting with my hair.

 So here we go - Not that I have ever done this before and I really don't know what I am doing yet, but Google is a wonderful tool isn't it. I have been wanting to try a pair of thrummed mittens for a while, the frigid cold this week prompted me into a little impulse shopping of some Wool of the Andes to make it happen.

I already had some roving from a spindle kit I had purchased a couple of years ago. (not so good at the spinning thing)- See Dawn...roving :) 

I found a website that explained how to make the thrums. Basically you pull off a few inches fold it like a cute little bow with the ends in the middle leaving little loops at the outsides. Of course my thrums don't look like her thrums. But they are at least as thick as the yarn I am using.

I don't have a pattern for them so I used my standard mitten pattern, then added 4 more stitches after the ribbing to accommodate the extra bulk of the thrums.
They are knitted in every 4th stitch in this case. I have had to pull the thrums out several times and start over before I finally got the hang of knitting in the roving pieces. I am sure that by the time I'm on mitten number 2 it will look a lot better than this one does.

Here is what the mitten innards look like. I am not sure if my thrums should be closer together or not, or even if they should be bigger, but usually when I'm winging it my stuff turns out pretty ok ;) 
And since this pair is for me they don't have to be perfect or even pretty. The next pair are for a gift -but that's only if this pair turn out acceptable...LOL


Now back to knitting with my hair ;)






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...