Friday, January 02, 2009

I'm Walking in a fog!


Happy New Year!!

In with the New Year and In with a new shift! That's right, I am on a new shift. For the last four years I have been on the afternoon shift and I have just gotten bumped to midnights this year. In a way I dreaded it because I have never been able to get the hang of that daytime sleeping thing. But on the other hand, it will be nice to fly under the radar for a while. Maybe I will finally get caught up with my work.

So until I get myself and little Brod-man adjusted to the new schedule I am walking around in a fog. Worse, I actually feel intoxicated and am having a hellava time keeping these peepers open tonite! Today fairly sucked! I just came off my second midnight shift after having worked a 12 hour shift, I get home around 7 ish...had to wake Brodie up to go potty (turn about is fair play doncha think?). I let him play for a while then I could not keep my eyes open any longer and told him " lets go ni ni". Of course he looks at me like I am cracked. Finally, I convince him to go back to bed and I slept all the way to...10:30!!! Wow...was that ever refreshing! Yah...two whole hours! Boy this is going to be a fun adjustment. I did go back to sleep from about 2pm to 5:30 pm but it sure wasn't enough.

You know that panic feeling you get when you are so tired that you are afraid you are going to over sleep and be late for work? That was me today, waking up every half hour to watch the clock to make sure I would not over sleep. Catch-22!

Naturally I am way too bleary eyed to accomplish much knitting. Even so, I managed to make some headway on my Tidal Waves sock. I am using Tofutsies instead of the soysilk. Huge difference in size. I ripped it completely out about three times before I was satisfied with the way it looks. The pattern doesn't call for it but I finally figured out that I had to knit through the back of the yarn over to keep it from looking lacy. Of course since I have knit the same section over and over again that I have the pattern memorized already. (Note the cute little dice stitch marker courtesy of TN Dawn) And if you look closely you can actually see the waves this time!


Another ripped out project! You might remember a while back that I had bought a sweater kit from Philosophers Wool at Stitches Market and it did not come with the color schematics. Well I did start the sleeve but I did not like how it was looking with my own randomizing so I emailed them for the color pattern. What I got instead was a large picture file. Since they apparently do not track the way they use the colors, no two sweaters look alike. I am all about the free spirit thing but I really wanted mine to look like the one in the picture! I was able to blow the picture up and figure out to the best of my ability, in which order the colors were used. Close enough for government work I always say!

I am pleased with the way the sleeve is turning out so far... and thank goodness, I can do this mostly with my eyes closed or I would not have even this much done.

I did also manage to finish Sarah's socks so I can give those to her when ever I become conscious again. I actually have not knit in a couple of days at all. I was too afraid to puck up my projects. A couple of more days and I should be back in form.
I did get a little itchy in my fingers and bought myself a new sketchbook the other day. I have not picked up a graphite in several years so I was a little nervous and afraid I would draw like a kindergartner. It felt so good to be drawing again. By Jove I think I still have it! I am pretty pleased with how these impromptu drawings turned out, especially considering I haven't put pencil to paper in several years, I think they turned out pretty ok.

I have been seriously considering going back to school while I am on mids to study art - something I have always wanted to do since I was high school, but I took a detour into the Army instead of school.



I don't know if I am going to do that yet but it bears careful consideration. For right now, it just feels good to hold a pencil in my hand again.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow what a transition...yucky!

Wow you're a really good drawer!:) Yes, I's a college graduate!:) You've really got some talent there chica!

Look at all those projects, you go girl!

Nancy said...

I like your sketches. You need to post more as you do them.

I don't envy your new shift hours. I would feel groggy ALL the time. Hopefully, your body will adjust to the change quickly.

Unknown said...

Ooof! Graveyard is tough. I hope the transition gets easier.

Anonymous said...

Hey mom, wow you actually picked up a pencil again! I miss you're drawings, great job by the way! I can't seem to draw anything anymore my day's of sketching I think are done for me though. Oh thank you for the socks they look so comfy and I can't wait to wear them. Miss talkin to ya during day light hours, hope you n Brodie are adjusting to those hours. Tootles!

Dawn said...

I must've missed this one. Sorry I'm so late posting! I wish you the best with your sleep schedule. Be as consistent as you can and it'll get better I hope. Do you have black out curtains? Unfortunately I sleep like that all the time, a few hours here and there, so now you know why I'm so spacey! LOL! I feel for poor Brodie too! He must be all mixed up!

Love the sketches, my oldest has a trillion all over this house, she has a natural ability that I totally ENVY! LOL! If you love it and are good at it, DO IT!! My Mom and brother were both blessed in that dept, me....not so much! ;O)

Great Knitting, you're doing way more than me even tho you're half conscious!
Hang in there K?
((Hugs))

NatRed2 said...

So far the sleeping part is getting better...it is just the waking up part that fairly sucks...LOL


I have draw-ered ;) anthing thing this week either because it takes too much energy right now. Hopefully in the next couple days I can get back to semi brain function.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...