Thursday, September 30, 2010

4 Score and...

...A couply years ago (3), if you've been around that long, you might remember this wall hanging. A woman I know, had a small herd of - alpaca's and this was the very first yarn she had made from her first alpacas. I ran into Alpaca Barb yesterday at my friends shop and she just told me she had to sell her herd, (very sad) and she realized she had not given me yarn from her very first alpaca Savannah (also very sad).
Alpaca Barb's herd had grown to 15 before she had to give it up. After a nice long chat yesterday, we decided another wall hanging for Barb will be in order. Not sure when I will be starting it yet, but I will have to see the yarn before I plan the blocks, like I did last time. Might be that I could even just add on to this one since the numbers are right.

I started this shawl a little while ago. I got pretty cocky having successfully made those other two shawls, so I thought I would try my hand at something a little more challenging- The Traveling Woman's Shawl. While not really a difficult piece, it has been challenging for me. I am learning the value of not only counting stitches, but counting rows...even more importantly - using a row counter!
Ya'll know I am not really a fan of lace knitting, yet because of the very nature of conceding defeat...I keep right on trying! I've had to frog back a couple of times, to figure out mistakes but so far so good...I am on my second lace chart (this pattern is charted and spelled out for us chart dummies), and nary a one design feature!!
Now that I have said that crap will surely hit the fan ;)


I'll have to slide the knitting back into the basket for now. Looking forward to a weekend with that hillbilly cousin of mine, I just got a call that he was comin' up.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I recently spotted the Traveling Woman shawl and thought about starting one. I like the yarn that you are using. Make sure you post a photo of the finished shawl.

Dawn said...

That's so sad about her herd. I think you're doing a really sweet thing.

Love the color of your TW shawl! I can't wait to see it done! Hurry it up K?

Kerry said...

I love the colours of your Traveling Woman shawl. I've just finished the stocking stitch section so am about to embark on the lace part. School holidays here in the UK are about to start for a week so I think mine will be going back in the bag until the kids are back at school.

Jeanne said...

Thanks Kerry... I love the name of it too (make believe)! I too have to have complete concentration for this one too...No way could I work on it with kids around. Sometimes not even with the dog around...LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...