Sunday, September 25, 2011

I have an LYS!

Or rather- I found two! Eye Of The Needle and Picasso's Moon Yarn Shop! I think there are some more in the area but these are the two that I have been to.  Eye of the Needle had more embroidery floss and needlepoint stuff than anything, but still I managed to find some cotton yarn there, which was what I was looking for. Picasso's Moon is definitely more my style of hang out, very artsy and very eclectic. I spoke for quiet a while with the owner Debra who spins art yarns did tell me she would teach me how to spin. I am pretty excited about that prospect but haven't yet taken her up on it. Maybe now that "cooler" weather is arriving I will make the effort.
There are a couple of more places in the area that I haven't discovered yet, but I'll get around to it.

I made this hat when I first came here. Some sort of sunhat is essential in this state. In fact I see a lot of people that walk around with umbrellas even when it is not raining. I wonder why we ever gave up the parasol. (ignore the horrible grainy picture)

Mostly I just use this hat to wipe the sweat salt water from my face when I'm at the beach since I have a straw hat with a brim to shade me.

This yarn was my Picasso's Moon purchase. My Sun Hat is based on Drops 99-23 which I tried to follow, no really I did, however I ended up ripping it out several times and making modifications to make it smaller. My hat sooo did not turn out like theirs!

Every time I followed their pattern with yet another smaller hook I looked like Dumb Donald from the Cosby Kids.

 Part of the problem is, I'm sure the yarn, I used Cascade Yarns Sierra which is a soft worsted weight cotton. They use their own Garnstudio DROPS Paris, which I have no clue how it feels but it seems to me it might be a firmer- tighter spun yarn. I think I'd like to try it with their yarn to see if I can make a better hat.
Now THAT hat is way cuter!!


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm with you on the parasol. I keep an umbrella in my car for those hot, sunny days in the park or elsewhere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...