Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Christmas knitting

Hoping every one's Thanksgiving was wonderful! Mine certainly was. To my surprise, I actually got to enjoy the entire day with my family (minus that sleeping thing I am compelled to do on occasion).
As usual, real time gets away from me. I've made a pretty good dent in the 'ole Christmas shopping game, very neatly avoiding Black Friday by hibernating inside my house and doing all of my shopping online. Now it is just a matter of waiting for the UPS guy to bring me my goodies.

Last minute gift ideas...again as usual. I have begun (twice) a beret intended for a gift, and darned if I am not out of that particular Noro, so I can't finish it at this time. Now I am on the hunt for Silk Garden #8, less than a skein...story of my life.

Other gift idea, a pair of house slippers from a pattern I found on Ravelry. I cannibalized my sweater ( that I'm never going to wear) to make these. By trial and error, I finally figured out that I needed to cast on 15 stitches rather than the 20 the pattern called for. It was the difference in yarn weights. It helped when I found someone else's notes stating the squares were 4x4 inches, which made calculating the size all that much easier.

Construction was a little confusing. I had to watch the corresponding YouTube video a couple of times when I was sewing them together.

Felting now occuring :) and since I have a front loader, I add those spiky dryer balls into the mix to help along the felting process. Still, it will take at least two washings. Hopefully I will have those finsihed slippers to show next. And if I find a skein of #8 maybe another beret too.



3 comments:

Dawn said...

Waiting on a couple of things I ordered as gifts too, I'm SO thankful for online stores! Those slippers are so cute! Hope they felt well! I don't have any NSG 8 left I think but I'll check. Take care and happy knitting!

PS Your blog is fine! LOL! I'm just BORED so I play around and change things up. I have no idea what I'm doing half the time. You can google free blogger backgrounds and you'll find tons of them to try! ;O) Mine will be changing again any day now I'm sure! LOL!!! I'm still trying to find the one that makes me happy every time I see it so I won't ignore the blog so much.

Zonda said...

Those slippers are cool, look forward to seeing them felted. Sorry I don't have that NSG colorway or I'd help you out!

NatRed2 said...

Thanks for looking for me... Don't ya hate when you have to pay for shipping when all you need is a little bit?? LOL

Dawn you're silly, bored indeed, as if that can be possible with two kids.

It is nice not to fight the holiday crowds isn't it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...