Friday, November 06, 2009

A day of respite

Ahhhh... we finally made it to Starved Rock! Brodie, not really a fan of car rides survived the 2 1/2 hour ride there and even managed to relax on the way home.

See?? Mr Excited strained at his leash the entire walk, and even tried to evade the muddy quagmires.
Being here always renews me. If you go at the right time, you never even see another living soul. Like you're in a place that time forgot.
I left it about two weeks too late to catch the color changes but there is still a lot of green left and still well worth the trip!






This is Council Overhang... so named because it is the place where the area Tribal Chiefs gathered to talk current affairs ;)

Once I realized we were people free, I let Brodie off leash to explore a little. His little nose was sniffin' a mile a minute!


Pictures cannot do it justice. To give you an idea of the size of the cavern, find the little speck that is Brodie in the this picture.



By the time we made it up to the Lodge for shopping it was getting too dark to take pictures or hit anymore trails. I think another trip is in order for next weekend.


4 comments:

Dawn said...

very cool....awesome pics....hugs Brodie

Nancy said...

This looks like a place that I would like to explore, especially the Council Overhang.

I'm glad that you took the time to go and to take photos for the rest of us. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Last time you n I went there Council Rock Overhang was blocked off, or the canyons were that take you there. How'd you get over to it? You suck I hope you know! lol Raine says she wants to go there but I don't think she can handle the hiking :)

Oh to Nancy... The history of Starved Rock and the scenery is amazing . You would love it!

NatRed2 said...

Sar- you're thinking of Turtle Rock. We have been sneaking in there since you were little. And Raine could handle the hike just fine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...