Sunday, March 08, 2009

First F/O of the Year?


It would appear so! I could hardly believe it myself! My little shopping spree at Knit Picks got me started  on my new home accessories. I grabbed a ball of CotLin in Kohlrabi, and took it to work with me. (Yes I have managed to get caught up with my work, after a fashion, and found time to knit). CotLin is a blend of cotton and linen, which I have to say, I did enjoy the feel of. I am used to a heavier weight yarn in cotton so the dk weight took some getting used to. 




This little project was a breeze to finish and is darn near mindless, you know how I like those mindless ones. I used a size 7 needle but I think I would have liked a tighter weave for the fabric.  

Now I am not saying that I have actually been functional in the last week or so but I have been somewhat productive.  I have New Girl Lisa trained and on her own -Yay!  That means Jeanne gets a little bit of a break, or at least I can take a personal day or two.  This weekend was the Special Olympics Polar Plunge, usually I pump that up quite a bit before hand but the energy has been lacking in that regard. Even tho I am not the one plunging into Lake Michigan  (just playing the part department photographer) it is still a completely exhausting day. Standing on the ice for hours waiting and watching a group of crazy law enforcement personnel dress silly and jump into 32 degree water then compound that excitement with a complete turnaround in waking hours and you get one pooped out chick with sticks. Is it any wonder I am unbalanced??



Ya'll know I suck at project stats so this year- since this is my first Finished Object of the year (pathetic I know) I am going to start out right.

Kohlrabi Dish Towel
Pattern: Basket Rib Hand Towel Rav Link
Needles Size 7
Size 11x17

I got my March installment of Art Walk Sock Yarn from Zen Yarn Garden. This month is another tribute to Gustav Klimit, Musique
Another beauty out of Canada!  Some day I may actually knit with these yarns...in the meantime, I shall become a collector of affordable art...LOL 
This picture does not bring out the beautiful greens and blues to it's full advantage. The colors are much closer to the painting that this shows. 

Another no brainer project-  A new place placemat! Same CotLin yarn but in Swan. This project is a winger, meaning a no pattern project. It may also be a do over because I am not sure that it will be wide enough to suit. Do you think 16 inches (unblocked) will be wide enough for a placemat?? I wanted this to be a tighter fabric than the dish towel so I am using a size 4 needle. I like how the fabric is turning out, I am just unsure of the size. Give me your thoughts. 

Another Winger- Impulse yarn buy of Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick n Quick. I bought this a while ago when it was still frigid outside ( I think spring is finally here). Big yarns make my hands tired when I knit so I don't get very far with with them at any one time. A few rows at a time and eventually I had a scarf. Not enough yarn left to make a hat to match so I may have to go back to the store. 
 
Chocolate and Vanilla Scarf
Pattern: Simple garter stitch stripe
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick n Quick in Wood and Linen
Needles size 13
Size 6x58

CA Dawn's question about my thrummed mittens prompted me to get out that one lonely mitt and finally finish the thumb. That was all that was lacking, so I did that this morning. Like I mentioned, they are not going to be pretty but damn they're warm! With any luck I just might have a pair by summer!

I think I have about 3 days of mids then another flip for the CAD training for a week and then I can finally settle into a single shift. That will be a blessing! At this point I don't care which shift, as long as it is only one shift.
Maybe then I can get caught up on all my blog reading :p



5 comments:

Dawn said...

Look at you cranking out the projects! Love the thrummed mitts, so cool!

Nancy said...

Wow, what a great list of finished projects.

I like your mittens, and I agree they will be very toasty, perfect for a frigid afternoon of watching football or going sledding. :0)

NatRed2 said...

Thanks- I think they are kinda fugly personally but I always wear my own goods ;) no matter how it turns out. I may eventually even have a pair of them...hahaha

Dawn said...

Now I gotta go try that cotton...LOL! You've been totally MIA but I figured you were pretty busy as usual! I was just hoping you weren't down by the side of your truck on the OTHER elbow! Good to know you're okay! ;O)

Great Projects! That new sock yarn is gorgeous! :)

I'm moving in slow motion right along with you this year for sure. Small, FAST projects have been helping me keep what little knitting mojo I've been able to muster! Just do what feels right! We'll still be here! waiting....patiently....for you to post! LOL!

Unknown said...

Nice job! You are rocking out the knitting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...